Coaching’s Frequently Asked Questions
What is coaching?
The International Coaching Federation defines coaching as: “[p]artnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.”
In my mind, some of the most essential ingredients of good coaching include:
- Customizing your coaching to your individual client’s needs;
- Believing in the innate abilities, creativity, and natural resources of each client;
- Being present or in the moment with the client and encouraging the client to do the same;
- Actively listening to the client (listening to what is said and what is not said);
- Use probing, thought-provoking questions to encourage the client to explore their own questions and access their own resources; and
- Ultimately, helping the client use the resources they possess/access to improve their performance and/or enhance the quality of their lives.
What qualities make for a good coach?
Coaches are change agents. To be effective in helping you achieve the change you desire, a coach has to know and understand you on a deep level. So my thoughts are that a good coach is someone who:
- Is in the moment with you;
- Listens well/actively;
- Probes you deeply with powerful questions;
- Thinks quickly and clearly;
- Has an open, generous, and patient heart, but can also give a good kick in the rear when it’s needed and called for;
- Is nonjudgmental;
- Is committed to her/his own continual self-learning and growth; and
- Above all is interested in you/your organization, your growth, and your particular coaching agenda!
How are New Chapter Coaching’s services packaged?
New Chapter Coaching works with each client to design a coaching agreement and customized package of coaching services that best suits the situation and needs of the client. Some clients select a service from one of our special packages, while others choose to design something on their own. We can discuss the perfect coaching package for you during a free 30 minute introductory call. To take advantage of this offer, complete the form found on the CONTACT US page.
How long and often do the coach and the client meet?
Coaching sessions are most commonly booked for once a week for three to six months. Clients often extend their initial packages in order to continue work on their goals or to work on additional goals. Both the frequency and the duration of the coaching package are entirely up to you.
Where do the coaching sessions take place?
The client has the following options:
- On the Phone. This is standard industry practice.
- Via Google Hangout or Skype Videoconferencing.
- In Person. Sessions for local clients take place at New Chapter Coaching’s place of business at the 601 West Nifong Blvd., Suite 1D, Columbia, MO 65203
- On Site. Coaching sessions may be arranged at the client’s place of business or home. Additional fees may apply.